COVID-19 Educational Resources
Apps are Available to Make Learning Easier
- Light Detector – transforms any natural or artificial light source it encounters into sound.
- Dragon Dictation – quickly transcribes words into text 3x faster than typing with up to 99% recognition accuracy. Dictate homework assignments, send email, surf the web and more-by voice.
- Be My Eyes-Helping Blind See – connects visually impaired people with sighted volunteers who provide virtual assistance through a live video call. Be My Eyes is available in 180 languages.
- AccessNote – sophisticated note-taking app designed to support visually impaired students and working professionals. Compatible with VoiceOverID.
- Color ID – works by identifying colors around the user and speaking those colors aloud.
- Talking Calculator -Calculator has large colorful buttons, optional high contrast, full VoiceOver support, and unique to this calculator; the option to use speech for answers, button names and formulas.
- Text to Speech Reader -Instantly reads out loud text, PDFs and ebooks with natural sounding voices online.
- Visual Brailler – Braille writer for your iPad.
- TapTapSee -utilizes your device’s camera and VoiceOver functions to take a picture or video of anything and identify it out loud for you.
- Alabama Parent Education Center – Sensory learning ideas
- Natural Reader – free text-to-speech program, along with usable fonts for individuals with dyslexia
Alabama State Department of Education – Response to COVID-19, including information related to IEP/504 in time of pandemic
US Department of Education – Response to COVID-19 and finishing the 2019/2020 school year.
Alabama Parent Education Center – resources for parents of individuals with disabilities, including information related to IEP/504 in virtual learning settings.
Special Education and Inclusive Learning – Resources for Inclusive Teachers. Autism, SEND
Learn some new skills for free during COVID-19 social distancing:
- Learn sign language – ASL for Free – you can learn basic vocabulary terms in American Sign Language!
- Learn about financial literacy – Financial Peace University Let Financial Expert Dave Ramsey show you how to dump debt, budget, build wealth and give like never before!
- Learn about the science of well-being and happiness at Yale University. https://www.coursera.org/learn/the-science-of-well-being
- Learn Tai Chi for stress-relief and immunity boosting – Tai Chi with Dr. Lam
- Learn Yoga & Meditation – Yoga with Adrienne– yoga for wheelchair users or people with mobility issues; ; NCHPAD – Yoga for Individuals with Disabilities; NCHPAD – Meditation Series
- Learn some art with several free art lessons – Art with Nancy; YouTube Art lessons; Artists with Disabilities;
- Explore new apps
- Enjoy Virtual Tours
- Attend an accessibility expo
- Find some new entertainment options: Pinterest; The Awesome Mary Show
- Learn some new Independent Living Skills:
- Encore, Inc. YouTube Channel
- MyGoodster– YouTube Channel for IL Skills and Autism
- Eating on a Dime– recipes on the cheap!
- Phillip’s Story– Living Independently with a Disability
- Young, Black, and Disabled– YouTube video on living with a disability
- Triple Cripples – Empowerment as a Black and Disabled Woman
NCHPAD – Make, Food, Eat!